Monday, March 21, 2011

Project Scythe continues

OK, so that was a lot of mold lines.

Project Scythe continues an is now in the building phase. Most of the time in this part is spent pinning things. I use a pin vice and paper clips to add a pin to each part to help it stay together.


The tricky part is making sure that your pins line up straight. You can see the same leg here with the pin in it as it fits into the lower body. To get this right I pretty much always start my holes by hand with the pin vice. Once I am sure that I have a good start I finish the job quickly with my Dremel. 

For big models like this I like to put a pin in every join. However, our Scythean here poses a unique problem because the upper body is hollow. There is plenty of area for glue, and I might have left it the way it was but I decided to use putty and put one in anyway. Here are the two halves of the upper body with the pin in them. 

The putty has to dry overnight, but it makes me feel better about the join. Here you can see the complete upper body with the long pin that will hold it on to the lower body. There are lots of things to attach to that upper body and I wanted to make sure it was staying put. Nothing ruins a good paint job like breaking a model in half. 


Thats a lot of boring pictures with no paint in them. Still I will be able pick this monster up off the board and plop it down next to its victim confident that it will not fall apart. 

Project Scythe has a ways to go before it gets to a point were I can prime and paint it. Next post I am going to break things up a bit and do something with some actual painting. I am working on the launch post for Project 60, I have plenty of Project Archive pictures ready to go and I have a unit approaching completeness. 






No comments:

Post a Comment